In my last post I was talking about simple comfort autumnal food like Spaghetti Bolognese. While it’s not very sexy to talk about as a foodie, Spag Bol is a dish that I always come back to and make over and over again. Chilli Con Carne is another such dish.
My version of Chilli Con Carne doesn’t really come from a recipe book or website, it’s just something that has evolved from the way my Dad made it. Like the Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe this starts with basic mince. The time consuming bit is slowly cooking the mince, but this can be made in huge quantities and frozen or refrigerated, meaning you can make quick week night meals.
Chilli Con Carne
~ Serves 2
- 1/2 batch of basic mince recipe found as first step in Spaghetti Bolognese
- 1 tin of kidney beans (400 grams)
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes (also 400 grams)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp of chilli powder
- 2 tsp of cumin powder (more or less to your taste)
- Begin by slowly heating your batch of mince, continue to warm it through while you make the sauce.
- In another pan heat garlic, chilli powder and cumin powder, after a couple of minutes add the chopped tomatoes.
- Keep the tomato mixture over the heat until it starts to thicken, around another 5 minutes, then add to the mince.
- Keep the chilli con carne over a low heat for another 5 minutes, then serve with rice and a sprig of coriander.
After months of waiting I am finally going on my summer holidays, so don’t be offended if your comments don’t get approved straight away – I will get to them. But just between you and me I am quite looking forward to a break from the internet!
For those of you who won’t be away from a net connection, I’ll have a couple of scheduled posts ready for the start of next week. Have a lovely week!